Last year I drowned my Audiotechnica AT835b mic, ruined it. Then I upgraded to a Sennheiser ME67 long shotgun. The ME67 is a beast and required a better shock mount. Here is my new design. Now I can record low frequencies with my ME67 at maximum gain.
Diagnosing the problem
The Sennheiser ME67 is a very sensitive mic (50 mV/Pa). It is long and doesn’t balance well in a pistol grip. My old home-made shock mount was not good enough. I experienced extreme low frequency handling noise with the bass roll-off switch off and high to maximum gain (Sony PCM-M10 recorder).
At first, the source of the noise was not clear since my old shock mount had performed wonderfully with the AT835b. People on the naturerecordists group suggested wind noise, structural noise (thin mic chassis), loose components, cable noise, wrong cable or mounting problems. I suspended my mic with elastic bands to find out the truth. There was no noise in my mic or cable and I concluded that handling noise was the mic slipping in my home-made shock mount.
Building a better shock mount
The ME67 needed a tighter grip to stop it slipping. I wrapped elastic bands firmly around the mic and used a larger diameter PVC pipe.
A large diameter pipe avoids the mic bottoming out (banging the pipe wall) and permits finger access to pull on the elastic bands and also to operate the on/off switch. Four thick elastic bands are required: two each at the front and rear. To secure elastic bands around the mic body repeatedly loop, twist 180 degrees, loop, twist 180 degrees, until there’s no slack. Then pull on opposite sides of each band, and secure the ends to the pipe (I’ve cut tabs in the pipe).